The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) report the annual number of dryer fires to be in excess of 15,000!  The number of fires can be drastically reduced if all consumers followed special care and took certain precautionary measures.  We offer our customers a few tips in hopes that they don’t become a part of this staggering statistic.


Three Common Reasons for dryer fires:


1.     Lint build-up in your dryer vent:         Lint build-up in dryer vents is extremely common.  This situation often arises due to dryers being vented longer distances, utilizing several elbows and sharp turns in the process.  Manufacturers recommend a maximum of 16 feet of venting with no more than 2 elbows.  How to know if you have lint build-up?  First, an excessive dryer time of your Kenmore Dryer, Whirlpool Dryer, Maytag Dryer, GE Dryer, Amana Dryer or Frigidaire Dryers is a sure sign.  A second indication of lint build-up includes the lid on your dryer being extremely hot, coupled with clothing being damp.  Lastly, the smell of mold.  In any case, we suggest cleaning inside, behind and underneath the dryer.


2.     Use of a flexible, plastic vent:             The type of vent being utilized is extremely important.  A flexible, plastic vent is not recommended due to the possibility of sagging, which may lead to lint build-up at low points.  We suggest only using rigid metal, aluminum or  galvanized steel venting.


3.    Washing clothes exposed to flammable chemicals:     Be cautious drying clothing containing flammable chemicals, including cooking oils, gasoline, cleaning solvents, etc.  As you know, flammable substances may cause an explosion or fire.  If your clothing contains these items, we suggest washing them several times to reduce the amount of chemicals prior to drying or in the alternative, old-fashioned line drying.


In short, whether you have a Miele Dryer or Roper Dryer, we suggest preventative maintenance:  annual dryer vent cleaning, use of proper venting and avoiding drying clothing with flammable chemicals.


Although we would love to service your appliances, we do hope these tips will save you from having to pay for a service call!


Until next time – Happy Tip To You Tuesday!